Monday, September 4, 2023

A-Ideas and the Golden Age of Fantasy

I'm trying to post on here more frequently, but I've been a little bit snarky on Twitter recently, so I'm wondering if it's a good idea. A little too much opinion, a little too little thought.

I've been thinking about AI today. I'm always quick to pour scepticism on notions that AI will ever be intelligent in the consciousness sense, however, as a tool, used by humans, I agree it has incredible potential. I'm now wondering what the actuality of this potential will be over the next few years.

My main thinking has been in regard film - both the realistic and the anime variety. If you have a good idea for a movie, realising that end vision normally requires a lot of money and the backing of a studio. (That is, the help of other people.) Will AI allow people to bypass this though?

We've seen how YouTube and the internet in general has allowed individuals to compete with the mainstream in the realms of newsprint and simpler film and audio content. Likewise in the production of music. Does AI now mean the same for grander film projects?

People tend to focus on this notion that AI will just auto-generate content going forward. That humans can just sit back and let the AI entertain us all. However, I'm much more interested in the idea that "humans with good ideas" will be liberated by AI. Ideas are king, and I don't think AI alone will produce anything that isn't just derivative of human work. If an individual human has a good idea though, AI may help that one human realise their vision. They can just bypass all the other humans they would normally need to enlist, and crack on and realise their masterpiece.

Much like how a drum machine helps a musician with a vision forgo the need to enlist a human drummer.

One person, with some software, will make the equivalent of Star Wars from their bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment