Monday, April 8, 2024

I'm Expanding My Water Portfolio

My anger about the potential fluoridation of our water has subsided somewhat. (That's not to say I'm now content to lie down and accept it. It will remain a key pivot going forward.)

Most of my annoyance stemmed from the fact itself: that the government have the nerve (and think they have the right) to medicate me against my wishes. This was amplified by the wider observation that so few other people seem to care. The post-Covid barnyard effect everywhere to be seen. Demoralised and confused people. Heads in the sand. "La la la, if I pretend this doesn't matter, then it doesn't matter" attitude. It's not that they are pro-fluoridation; that I'm right and they're wrong. It's that they don't have an opinion. They literally do not care what comes through their taps every day and into their bodies. Like a dog at its bowl, oblivious to how the water got there.

Obviously, I'm being very harsh here. Clearly my anger hasn't completely gone :)

Still, noting this though, I've moved on to doing what I do best - looking out for number one. My attitude now being, "Okay, I'm forced to live in this barnyard nation, how do I minimise the impact on myself?".

Water Diversification

My thinking is just to diversify things more. I already do this to some extent anyway. I drink bottled water at work and tap water at home. My rationale being that they'll somehow offset each other. The plastics in bottles can't be good, but at the same time how much faith can you have in tap water. So instead of going all-in on one option - the fear being that you'll pick the worst of the two - I mix it up. Hedge my bets. I think all things in moderation is probably a good general rule. I'm sure the body can cope with some degree of impurities and toxins. You just don't want to overdose.

Obviously (at least in my opinion), the addition of fluoride makes tap water less attractive ..and less trustworthy. So if we do get fluoridated I won't completely stop drinking it, but I will drink less. That means more of the portfolio will need to be dedicated to other sources. The easy thing is just to drink more bottled water, and to start buying bottled water in glass bottles too.

In fact, one of the things that currently limits the amount of bottled water I drink is my guilt about the impact it has on the environment (see, it's not all about looking out for number one!). Buying yet another bottle of Evian feels a little indulgent when I can just turn on a tap and fill a cup or water bottle. If fluoridation comes the guilt goes though. So it'll move from luxury to everyday essential.

I've also being looking online at water filters. That too is a potential option. Instinctively it doesn't appeal to me. Partly because of the hassle. It's one thing going to the effort to do something when the novelty is there, but once that wears off you'll soon get lazy. Good lifestyle habits should be as easy and as seamless as possible I think. Also, though filters undoubtedly remove stuff from water, you wonder what's added. So I definitely wouldn't want to go all-in and start getting 100% of my drinking water that way.

Perhaps it could be 10% of the portfolio.

Finally, I've even be watching a few YouTube videos from people who drink rainwater. I think it's unlikely I'll be drinking rainwater anytime soon, but it's always worth thinking outside the box. After all, it does fall freely from the sky. So in a world where money becomes tight, or other options are restricted, it would at least be an alternative.

Perhaps 2% of the portfolio ..growing to 50% when society eventually collapses.

No comments:

Post a Comment