Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Word Counts in New Zealand

I haven't posted on here in a while. I'm keeping it low key. I've actually been quite busy. I'm finally knuckling down to finish the work of fiction I planned on writing. I'm being very self-disciplined and doing it during the day! Almost like a 9 til 5. Unlike my normal mode of writing which is usually done with a coffee late at night when people are in bed.

In fact, it's been a bit of an eye-opener. In the past when I've written books it's always been a long, drawn-out affair. So much thought, artistic moodiness, and getting the feel and timing right (or wasting time and putting things off should I say). Consequently, whenever I'd hear stories of these people that knock out three or four books a year I'd always think; how on earth is that possible?!

I didn't understand how people could be so prolific without just producing junk.

However, now I've found that when you make a 'day job' of it, you can be incredibly productive. If you produce just 1,000 words a day you can have a 60,000 word book in just two months. If you can increase that to 2,000 a day then just thirty days may suffice. So I'm rattling along at the moment. Sometimes churning out two chapters a day! Simply unprecedented! (..don't worry I'm not using this many exclamation marks in the book). It does mean that I've put general blogging like this (which I find so much more comfortable) on the back burner though.

Anyhow..

..the reason I'm posting is just to make a quick note. Yesterday I saw this tweet.


..highlighting this article; https://thespinoff.co.nz

Apparently, Arron Banks is getting involved in New Zealand's general election later this year. Helping out the New Zealand First party. Like the Irish election earlier this year this should be interesting to watch. So I'm going to start paying attention more. When my patience runs out with the book I may even start blogging about it. So I thought I better put a little mental marker down now.

As with the Irish election I know very little about New Zealand politics. I did read the '2020 New Zealand general election' Wikipedia page though last night to get to grips with their electoral system. So I've already cast a little bit of light to dispel my ignorance.

Currently the Labour Party are in a 'minority coalition government' with the NZ First party - with 'confidence and supply' from the Greens. I already knew Labour's Jacinda Ardern was the PM, but I had no idea about any of this stuff. So I'm already learning.

The election is in September. No doubt it'll get heavily overshadowed by the US election. It does mean I'll have plenty of entertainment if we get locked down again though 😵

No comments:

Post a Comment