Thursday, June 25, 2020

Sky, fields ...and carrots.

A little flag update. I found out this morning that the flag of the Romani people is very similar to the one I knocked up a few weeks back. In fact, in its original bi-colour form it's almost identical except for the specific shade of colours used. It even takes its inspiration for those colours from the same basic concept of earth and sky.

(The commonly used Romani flag,
with the red cartwheel or chakra)

(In its apparent original form
 - Wikipedia)

The flag consists of a background of blue and green, representing the heavens and earth, respectively - Wikipedia

(The one I'd came up with to
represent the Earth)

I now feel like I'm tapping into some kind of eternal zeitgeist :)

Apparently it's Gypsy Roma Traveller History month - I saw the flag this morning thanks to a post on Twitter. It's obviously quite fitting that a flag representing the Earth would be used to represent people that travel across it. So it's all quite neat. Reading further about it on Wikipedia I discovered that it's been associated with open borders in the past. Again, this makes sense with gypsies being a travelling people. Though often of course thinkers and intellectuals will take these folk meanings and attach a wider political vision to them (as I'm doing now I guess :p).
The charter adopted then suggested that green stood for "land covered in vegetation" and a "world without borders", with blue as a stand-in for "cosmos and liberty".
I might have shuddered at the communist undertones of such a statement just a few weeks ago, but I'm trying now to be less partial when looking at the overall picture. I want to marry the ideals from all sides, from left and right, into something that's good for everyone. Communists and other people I disagree with on issues generally want what's best for humanity, even if their methods are a bit meh. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

Obviously if another statue gets pulled down or something in the next few days I'll no doubt have another whinge xD - we're all somewhere on the political spectrum in regard individual events and issues. So I think it's good to speak your mind too and not just completely sit on the fence, attempting to be polite and impartial. It's just balancing the carrot with the stick 😅


No comments:

Post a Comment