Thursday, December 10, 2020

Marijuana is the smell of capitalism..

Just a quick post today. I want to make note of something that I thought I'd already mentioned on here, but I must not have. I guess I must have just tweeted about it or something.

As the title suggests it's that marijuana is the smell of capitalism.

Firstly, before I start, I should note that I'm not pro-marijuana. I don't really care what other people get up to in their personal life, but it's not my thing. So I'm generally against the use of recreational drugs. I'm more interested in the economic aspect.

What interests me in particular is that it shows how entrepreneurial normal people can be when a gap in the market presents itself.

As the gap in supplying marijuana can't be legally filled people with less to lose and more to gain step in to take the risk. You'll literally see scruffs from "lazy, jobless" council estates setting up entire marijuana farms in attics and garages. To then distribute it at a profit around the area.

It's essentially just slick and vibrant business. Albeit illegal business.

So whenever I smell that distinctive smell outside. A common aroma on English streets these days. I instantly think; "capitalism".

It shows, in an odd way, how industrious people can be when they have a market demand to fill. It also illustrates why it's harder for poorer people, indeed most people, to make headway in the legal markets. As legal markets tend to be already cornered by large business. 

It always makes me wonder what would happen if other things were made illegal.

If oranges were made illegal would we see illegal orchards popping up in backrooms and basements to fill the demand for fresh orange juice?

Now we live in age where much of normal human life is being deemed illegal will this black market capitalism also rise to fill these natural demands too? It'll be interesting to see what happens.

In fact, that's what reminded me of this today. I saw footage earlier of police trying to cut their way into a building to stop an illegal 'lock in' 😅


Perhaps they'll finally succeed in making all alcohol and pubs illegal. Then we'll have years of spending billions to stop the illegal trade. Then eventually someone will have the bright idea of legalising it all again and taxing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment