Friday, April 24, 2020

Football Lock Down

I'll keep it short today. My opinion on where things are heading re lock down keeps shifting back and forth. Largely dependent upon the media source I'm consuming at the time. Sometimes I'll see something and think "Oh, the mood is definitely shifting, we might be returning to normal at some point." Other times I'm despairing at the dystopian madness I'm witnessing.

Earlier today I saw that a local music event has been postponed from this summer until June 2021! Which is just a crazy amount of time to drop something back. Perhaps even more bizarre are the calls for English football to be postponed for a possible 18 months. This just seems insane to me ..and very costly.

Football is huge both economically and culturally for the UK. Especially the Premier League. So any postponement is very damaging. Plus with no European football on TV due to shut downs and the Chinese Super League possibly returning by July then the entire focus of world football could shift. Chinese football was already beginning to attract big names, albeit ones coming to the end of their career. If the current situation continues they could end up with a captive market.

There's also the talk that pubs will be closed 'til Christmas (assuming they're not planning on cancelling Christmas altogether). So it feels like an all-out assault on British culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment