Friday, February 7, 2020

Excitement. Irish Election.

Irish election tomorrow. It's given me a chance to give myself a little crash course in Irish politics. It's quite amazing how ignorant I am really. Given it's literally our closest neighbour.

Apparently Sinn Féin are leading in the polls.

As per above I have no real idea what this means, but judging by the ashen faced looks on the people reporting this in the media I'm guessing it's once more a manifestation of that dreaded 'populism'.

Sinn Féin are nationalist, but left wing (I think). So it'll be interesting to see what happens and how it's all reported. Leo Varadkar has had gushing media coverage over the last few years thanks to his role in the Brexit process. So if his party do have a bad day it'll no doubt lead to some questions.

For anyone as ignorant as I am his party is Fine Gael. The other major party being Fianna Fáil.


I might actually learn how to pronounce some of these names as I follow it all along tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment