Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Twitter trenches.. boxing not so clever

Well, yesterday's post was accurate. In fact, it was almost like a premonition. I've spent pretty much the entirety of yesterday and today arguing on Twitter about lockdowns and coronavirus deaths, the lot - and it has brought out the devilish side of me. I think I probably have overstepped the mark a little too at times - I was getting a little offhand with people. Being a little too cocky.

It doesn't bring out the best in me, and in my tired state (it's actually exhausted me a little lol) I'm not sure it was worth it all things considered. I seemed to have hit a nest of avid lockdown addicts - all of a sudden yesterday afternoon I started getting a flurry of replies to my tweets. It was like coming across a bunch of Japanese soldiers that hadn't realised World War II had ended. All the old arguments about lockdowns and Covid deaths - replete with graphs with spikes - started flooding back. I dusted off the old Wuhan images and at one point even shared a video of Yuri Bezmenov. It was like a little trip down wu-flu memory lane.


Again, I probably could've been a bit more considered. Many of the people I was debating were no doubt just genuine people who'd simply been swept up by the Covid narrative. Telling these people that 'Long Covid' is just a varying combination of post viral fatigue, psychosomatic issues and other health conditions wasn't that enjoyable for me. All they hear is me saying that their ailments aren't genuine.

The question, as per yesterday's post, is whether it's worth upsetting and disconcerting all these people in the name of puncturing the narrative. As I type I'm now not sure it is. As earlier, they seemed like hold-outs from a bygone war that no one is fighting any more --- now it's all gas prices, strikes, Ukraine and inflation. Coronavirus almost seems a little old hat.

It might have been better just to leave these people be. Safe in their narrative. Though if the prospect of lockdowns and mask mandates does reappear it could've been time well spent.

A guilty feeling..

The one thing that really niggles me is that when I was arguing I resorted to using an example from real life to illustrate how Covid deaths were misrepresented.

I first noted that anecdotal account here back in May 2020: This Brutal Lockdown

Back then I was honestly reporting, I was quite measured and thoughtful, but today I was just using the story to make a point. It was wrong of me to do this. I only knew of this death through second hand information - it wasn't a death of a person close to me, so I had no right using it like this. The people that push the Covid narrative are so relentless in their use of such stories and appeals to emotion though, so I couldn't resist firing some reality back at them. It's left me with a guilty feeling. Doubly so as I'd actually used the story on Twitter before in the heat of arguing (about a year ago I think) and I promised then that I wouldn't do it again after I'd realised what a lapse of judgement it had been.

I think the lesson I should take from today is that I need to exercise a bit more self-discipline. It's so hard to act like an adult though when the impishness takes over 😈

(As I finish typing this I've just received a notification for another reply - this time from a guy claiming China had a "great strategy" and that "masks are a zero impact way of saving lives". I need to resist the urge to reply. I need to settle down and get some sleep. I have work tomorrow. Self-discipline!!! )

No comments:

Post a Comment