Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Cold Showers..

Continuing on the energy theme I was thinking it might also be wise to try using less. My biggest indulgence is cleanliness. Whether it's my body or my clothes or the utensils I prepare food with I like things to be clean. So I'm probably guilty (in fact I'm definitely guilty) of overusing warm water.

It's slightly irksome (and also amusing) that the people that were telling us to wash our hands every five minutes are now telling us not to worry about showering and using the washing machine. Still, I can't really use this as an excuse to completely dismiss their arguments.

Anyway, yesterday I thought perhaps I can try a cold shower. I have zero intention of completely replacing warm showers, but maybe if I have one a week it'll make a slight difference. So yesterday I tried one. It actually wasn't too bad. I didn't think I'd be able to manage it, but I did - just about.

Obviously it's one thing having a cold shower in late August. It's quite another having one in mid-December. So that might be beyond me.

My main issue isn't so much the cold though, it's more the cleanliness. I think you need warm water. Try washing the dishes with a sink full of cold water. You need that energy to lather up, break things down and remove grease. So I'm not convinced you'll get nice and clean with a daily cold shower.

It's a balancing act though, so I should at least try to make some compromise.

My thinking at the moment is that perhaps I can replace a warm shower with a cold one once a week, on a day where I don't have much to do. On the lazy days where I don't need to leave the house for long periods. I'm definitely not having a cold shower before I go out to work that's for sure.

I might try another one in a few days time to get some practice in. Perhaps there might even be some benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment