Friday, November 15, 2019

Local Locus

It's getting late, but I'm going to post again tonight. This time in relation to the GE as it stands in my back yard.

Firstly, the candidates for my constituency are now in ink.

(Middlesbrough constituency candidates)

6 to choose from (!)

What's worth pointing out is that three of the candidates have addresses that aren't even in Middlesbrough. Something that has already been noted by many people. The Tory candidate has an address in South Cambridgeshire 😅

You really do wonder why the Conservatives are bothering to stand a candidate in a seat like this. With someone based so far away how can they even have the foot soldiers on the ground to take the fight to Labour. Do they actually think they can win this seat?

Let's see what happens though. Perhaps they'll prove me wrong. At the moment it looks very much like a gift that could've easily been given to the Brexit Party however.

As for the Brexit Party candidate I saw her state today (on Facebook) that half her family is from Middlesbrough and that she spent a lot of time in the town as a child. At the moment I'm still leaning towards voting BXP. So if that continues to be the case I hope she can overcome this sense of "outsider" and get her "smoggyness" on.

Which leads me onto the second point I wanted to make. I mentioned in a previous post that the local newspaper, the Evening Gazette (Teesside Live), seemed to be weighing in behind the Independent candidate. This was just I sense I got from reading the odd article I'd seen, and wasn't backed by anything solid really. However, reading the article today concerning the 2019 candidates I think the intonation is pretty clear.

(click to enlarge)


The article begins by mentioning that the race will be "enlivened" by the decision of the deputy mayor to run as an independent. Suggesting it could be a close run race.

Then it follows on from this. Describing the Brexit Party candidate as "Thirsk's" Faye Clements 😄 Then adding that she may split the non-Labour vote.

So the framing is pretty clear.

(The sheer foreignness of this woman
is quite breathtaking)

No comments:

Post a Comment