Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Twitter and Facebook continued

This is the likes and followers for my constituency candidates (Middlesbrough Central). At least as they were on Sunday evening.

Twitter followers, with net change over 7 days in brackets.

Andy McDonald (Lab): 34,043 (+4k)
Ruth Betson (Con): 884 (+30)
Faye Clements (BXP): 667 (+11)
Antony High (Ind):  302 (+10)
Hugh Alberti (Green): 80 (+6)
Thomas Crawford (Lib Dem): 461 (+4)

Facebook page likes, with net change over 7 days in brackets.

Andy McDonald (Lab); 4,744 (+201)
Antony High (Ind); 4,307 (+197)
Faye Clements (BXP); 88 (+15)
Ruth Betson (Con); 139 (+1)
Thomas Crawford (Lib Dem); 143 (+2)

(I couldn't find a Facebook page for the Green Party candidate).

Looking at the Facebook page likes you can see that both Antony High and Andy McDonald have a strong showing. Obviously Andy McDonald is quite an established figure so his like count will have built up over a fairly long period of time. The Antony High count is more recent, and in large part owes itself to the large following the Middlesbrough mayor has built up on Facebook.

Though looking at the net change over the 7 days the difference between them and the other candidates isn't quite as stark.

Also I should note that the Conservative candidate Ruth Betson has a new Facebook account specifically for her Middlesbrough campaign which I wasn't aware of when I first started. That account went up by about 15 or so likes in the 4/5 days after I found it. So her numbers are a little skewed. I'll be using her Middlesbrough Facebook page going forward.

Most notable from the Twitter figures is that Andy McDonald has jumped up about 4k in the 7 days. A huge leap. I'm guessing this is largely due to his very public spat with Dominic Raab. So perhaps a lot of Labour supporters have started following him from across the country.

I'm also currently looking at the Hartlepool constituency. I'll post them later in the week as I started recording those last Friday. So I'll have a 7 day net figure this coming Friday.

I think it's interesting looking at things this way as you can get a sense of momentum as the weeks go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment