Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Labour Which Way - Leave or Stay?

I'm trying to post daily on this blog, can you tell? It seems like a good exercise to try to force myself to post, as normally on my other blogs the turnover is quite slow. So I feel like it's a good idea to have something a bit more frequent.

Today I'll keep it short (hopefully). On here I've tended to chastise the Labour Party for not listening to the northern, pro-Brexit vote. However, over the last day or so I've seen people, mainly those from the anti-Corbyn side of the Labour Party, arguing that they could increase their vote share by going the other way - i.e. going full remain.

To be fair I should probably consider things from that side of the argument. It's easy for me, completely unaffiliated with the Labour Party, to state what's right and wrong. However, when you're in that position it's not so easy. Plus I do have two big biases. Firstly, I'm pro-Brexit. Secondly, I live in the north of England. Two things that no doubt skewer my views a little. So in future posts I'll try to weigh up which way would be the most prosperous route for Labour, electorally speaking.

My current view is that Labour have made a big mistake in not backing Brexit. Again though, living in a northern, Labour-voting town, perhaps only gives me a narrow view of the situation. The normal people I know and meet certainly aren't debating whether to go Lib Dem or Green at these European elections. Though, of course, such people do exist up here too. In fact, I've seen a few friends on Facebook liking the Green Party in the last week or so. So perhaps that's telling.

So I'll have a look at the recent polls and try to make a fairer judgement over the coming days.

No comments:

Post a Comment