Sunday, June 2, 2019

A softer politics..

I had a few experiences yesterday that made me think it's time I started being a little less spiky when expressing my opinions. Firstly, whilst arguing against the Brexit media narrative with people online I realised I was being a little rude. Or at least blunt anyway. So I think I should try to show a little more patience with people on the other side of the argument.

Secondly, I watched some of the We Are Middlesbrough broadcasts on the BBC. This was a series of feature pieces about Middlesbrough to coincide with Radio 1's Big Weekend, which was held here this year. In the past I've always felt that the BBC has had a bit of a negative, even snidey attitude towards Middlesbrough. However, this was all very warm and positive. Clearly a lot of time and effort was put in. Normally I'm quite critical of the BBC, but credit where credit's due. This was a nice change in tone. It gives me the feeling that the country is coming together and things are moving in the right direction.

So it's perhaps time I started being a little softer in my criticism :)

I often wonder. Is politics about winning the argument, or is it more about explaining your own position to other people in a way that helps them to understand why you feel that way, or believe what you believe? And likewise making an effort to understand why they feel the way they do about an issue. Then finding a common ground or compromise.

And Trump's here...

As I'm writing this I'm currently listening to Nigel Farage discuss Trump's visit and "interference" in British politics with his listeners.

I think we really are getting in a tizz with all these discussions about foreign interference. The term interference suggests some kind of malpractice. However, essentially what we're talking about are just opinions. It's simply impossible to insulate voters in one country from the opinions of people from another. Be they that of a president or of the average man on the street.

Every major election in the modern world is a topic of global debate now. The more opinion the better I believe. By attempting to insulate people from foreign opinion you're essentially saying that voters aren't sharp enough to juggle and process all this information.

No comments:

Post a Comment