Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Trump's Visit ..and the NHS

I'm currently sat listening to Piers Morgan's interview with Trump. Trump has been superb over here in my opinion. He really couldn't have been more generous both in his language towards Britain and his offer of a future trade deal.

He was previously asked if the NHS was on the table in regard a deal, to which he replied in the affirmative. "Everything's on the table." A reply no doubt simply a consequence of Americans not understanding the British attitude towards our nationalised health care. Following the outcry, in this interview Piers asked him again, to which he took it right back off the table.

"I don't see it being on the table. ..that's something I would not consider part of trade. That's not trade."

Not even making an issue of it. Very courteous and accommodating.

..but the Trump protests

Sadly not everyone over here has returned that courtesy. All the protesting in the street has just been silly, and a little bit embarrassing for the UK. I've come to the conclusion that protesting in the street is the lowest form of political engagement. In all honesty I have more respect for people who just don't care and don't vote. Though I can at least have some sympathy for the younger people out on the streets. At least there's time for them to realise how pointless it is. Plus, it is kind of natural to want to cause a bit of mayhem when you're that age :D

Anyone over the age of about 25 should know better though. Which brings me to Jeremy Corbyn boycotting Trump and then taking to the streets.

I live in an area represented by a Labour MP, an MP I actually voted for at the last election. Consequently the Labour Party are representing me, my family and my area. I want those representatives in the room, at the table, representing me. Making the argument, exercising that power they've been given. I don't want them standing outside, shouting in the street. I could do that myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment