Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Civilisation Brexit?

I was a little bit annoyed yesterday. Seeing the Brexit Party MEPs turn their backs on the national anthem was one of those "awwh God why?!" moments. It seems like such a self-defeating move. I'm a little more forgiving today. Having heard the full story it seems at first they refused to stand for the anthem, then when implored, chose to stand but with their backs turned. Still very childish though. Terrible optics too.

With the Liberal Democrats turning up in "Bollocks to Brexit" T-shirts the cynical side of me is now wondering if it's all just a game. A pantomime Punch and Judy show. Used to distract and divert the anger and rage coming from both sides.

Is it possible that all these adult politicians are really so childish?

I was going to copy the cool kids in the Brexit Gang and put a blue hat on my little Twitter avatar, but this has soured it for me. Am I just being dragged along for a fake-outrage ride while all along the real grown-ups behind the scenes are just continuing full steam ahead with their beloved EU project?

Also looking at the wider political picture it does seem to be the case that politicians are throwing an awful lot of money around at the moment. The Brexit Party with their Brexit dividend and all the various Conservative candidates with their promises of more spending.

Perhaps the short term plan is just to buy the voters off in the hope that in a few years time, when things are much better, they won't be so miffed, and will be more willing to embrace globalism in all its centralised glory.

I'm getting very cynical now. I promised myself I'd stay away from conspiracy theories. So for the time being I better put my Brexit cap back on and just hope for the best.


..Sort it out Nigel

No comments:

Post a Comment