Friday, July 26, 2019

K i c k i n g T h e C a n 2 . 0 ?

Apparently Boris Johnson has just stated that there won't be a general election before we leave the EU on the 31st October. I'm not going to pretend to be a smart arse and act like I know how sensible or likely this is, but I can at least share my gut feeling. Which is, are we getting more fudge and obfuscation?

The current parliament looks very unlikely to just allow a "no deal" to happen. Hopefully Boris can get a new deal or tweak the old one, but even then will parliament support that? The only thing parliament fear is the public, so were I a Brexiteer politician of any stripe I'd be eager for a general election asap.

Of course, it would be great for the establishment if they could just stall until May, 2022 - when the Fixed-term Parliaments Act stipulates the next one should be. It's similar with the EU elections. Once we had people standing for those then it potentially means they'll be there until 2024.

K i c k i n g  T h e  C a n.

Plus the closer we get to 2022 the easier it will be to wait until then.

Perhaps Boris is just bluffing and is laying a trap where the remainers in parliament will demand their own execution. Likewise putting the blame for any possible general election on Labour and remain. I'm sure many of those politicians would love to sit there until 2022. Hoping the storm will pass. Or that we'll be so far down the route of EU integration that there'll be no way back.

Perhaps Boris also finds it appealing to maximise his time at the helm before he has to go before the public.

As ever I'm very cynical. Maybe that cynicism is massively unfounded. After all he's only been there since Tuesday. Perhaps it's just this heat getting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment