Sunday, July 7, 2019

Controversial opinion..

I'm actually feeling quite positive about politics today. No particular reason, just a general realisation that, actually, things aren't looking as bad as everyone is constantly saying. Yes, big problems, as ever, but I think things are heading in the right direction overall.

Now I'm not hugely confident about either Boris or Hunt as PM, though I would prefer Boris. However, I certainly don't hate either by any stretch of the imagination. They both seem like decent blokes. Likewise I don't fear Corbyn the way many do. Firstly, I think it's highly unlikely he'll ever become PM anyway. Secondly, for all his leftism, I don't think he'd do too much damage in a single term. Certainly not quite as much damage as people are imagining. Sure, you can whack up taxes etc, but you certainly can't just nationalise everything in a few years. That's just not gonna happen whoever is in charge. Plus, the party is so split and out of his control he'd struggle to get anything done anyhow.

The Brexit Party are a force for good, and give British voters another option. Which is a great plus. And the Greens, Lib Dems and SNP - for all the disagreements I have with those parties - are not that bad really. Ultimately they are all for the most part decent people with good intentions.

So democracy in this country is quite healthy really when you step back and take a broader view.

No comments:

Post a Comment