Monday, July 29, 2019

Poundland Brexit

It's another day that's passed me by somewhat politically. I'm currently listening to Boris Johnson getting booed by protesters in Scotland. It seems like there are always people out protesting for every little thing these days. I'm sure it's essentially now a hobby for many people. It's the modern, and more annoying manifestation of the train spotter in many ways. It's a little day out where people can get some sort of odd satisfaction by doing something repetitive and pointless.

To be fair I'm probably being a bit unfair on trainspotters here, they're generally polite, quiet and harmless. However protesters are often loud, rude and waste a lot of police time and money.

On this blog and elsewhere I keep predicting the decline of the SNP and keep getting it wrong, but still my feeling is that the Scottish people are beginning to get fed up of the inconsistencies in their arguments. Independence, but not really independence as we're staying in and supporting a fully federal EU.

I've also seen today articles about how the pound has continued to fall in value against the dollar because of Brexit uncertainty. I really need to step up and start paying a bit more attention to the major financial aspects of all this. I think it's probably worth keeping an eye on. My instincts are that these speculators and experts on the whole aren't as bright as they're made out to be, but of course I could be wrong on that. After all, I'm a lot poorer than they are.

They seem like horses in a field that are easily spooked. Brexit hasn't happened. It may not happen. "No deal" is still unlikely, and even if there is no deal it might be great for Britain. Yet the fear has been endless. We're now over three years into the Brexit process and haven't left, so the endless flux in the markets "because of Brexit" has been purely based on speculation. How much relation does any of this actually bear to real life and the real world economy?

No comments:

Post a Comment