Sunday, October 20, 2019

A B C D E or F A

I'm sat here listening to Farage on LBC. His overriding complaint seems to be that the Boris deal is another awful treaty that we shouldn't sign up to. I have sympathy for his position, but I really feel we have to start doing things the way the EU do things if we're going to get anywhere.

When the EU propose a new treaty requesting more powers they'll ask for A, B and C. If there's push back and they can't get B or C they say "oh well, we'll have another treaty in five years time and come back for B and C then". Asking for D and E in the process. Slowly but surely accruing powers over time.

(In fact, as I'm listening a caller has just phoned in making the same point I'm making here more or less - calling this Boris deal a "half-Brexit" and a stepping stone towards more Brexit in the future.)

We need to now get what circumstances dictate we can get. Then come back for more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment