Thursday, June 4, 2020

Facebook Riots II

I'll post again today. This one can count as tomorrow's. It follows on nicely from my earlier post where I was talking about losing Facebook friends because of arguments over lock down and the BLM riots.

Anyway, it's happened again, another casualty. I actually feel much worse about this one. A woman I used to work with - a lovely woman, very nice person - sided with the guy who'd essentially implied that I was a racist for not supporting the Black Lives Matter campaign. She hearted one of his comments (how dare she!) and then left a comment on another post of mine saying she supported 'taking the knee'.

Of course, I replied. I tried to be nice, but I also argued my case fairly strongly. Basically saying that BLM misrepresents black people, that lots of black people don't support it, and that the media push it to effectively pit black and white people against each other to push various agendas. I kind of regret doing this now though, as not long afterwards she deactivated her account. She'd been sharing quite a lot of Black Lives Matter stuff, so I guess she was quite invested in it and found the criticism a little too harsh. Again, the other guy just unfriended me - he was always a bit of a self-interested person - but she's far too nice to do that. So I guess she's just took a break and deactivated in a fit of pique.

I feel a bit bad. Then again though it does really irk me when people imply that you're racist. Especially when they know you in real life and have firsthand experience of you being a decent person. Of course, the way these things are loaded up by the media, with very slick and emotion-heavy campaigns, it means it's hard not to come across as some sort of heartless bad guy when you counter the overall narrative like this. So I guess it's totally understandable why people get like this. It's really not their fault.

It's one of these things where it's hard not to wonder if you're doing the right thing in voicing your opinion. Is it really worth breaking so many eggs when the mainstream narrative is so dominant?

It was the same with the election before Christmas. It was certainly no fun promoting the Brexit Party when people were so quick to throw the "racist" label at you because of it. It definitely had a personal cost. Of course, with these things there's also often a quite large group of people out there who may agree with what you say, but who don't raise their heads above the parapet for this very reason. So maybe someone has to voice these things out loud. Perhaps it is the right thing to do after all. Hopefully the woman will return to Facebook and I can apologise to her. I think I'm running out of rope with people though. I'll be all out of people to proselytise to if it keeps going on this way. 2020 really is quite a brutal year.

Also, to add, it was announced today that from June the 15th face masks will become compulsory on public transport in the UK. Which is disappointing - though not in the least bit surprising to me. If I have to wear one myself at any point it will severely dent my pride. It's an act of submission. Like taking the knee in fact. I understand only too well what it signifies. I'm actually not even sure I'll physically be able to wear one. I fear my pride will kick in and I'll just point blank refuse. Good job I like walking :)


Then again though, given my recent defeats on Facebook, I'm now beginning to think it might just be better to keep my head down, stop causing trouble and just accept the semi-slave status we're all being conditioned into. I can claim the UBI, get myself a nice plush micro-pod, and then purchase a high-end cybernetic girlfriend. Maybe I can get a black one to prove to everyone how un-racist I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment