Thursday, June 11, 2020

..narratives

Well, I've been arguing with people on Twitter again. (I'd really hate to add up all the hours I've spent doing this over the course of the year). This time the topic has been the toppling of the statues. Obviously it goes without saying that I'm totally against this. In fact, the protesters are even beginning to target monuments dedicated to Captain Cook, who was born in my home town. So it's getting very personal. I can't help but feel though that while this is all happening I'm taking my eye off the ball in regard the lock down.

At the moment we're seeing the media spin this line that "..if only we'd have shut down earlier we'd have saved so many lives!". Wheeling out Rory Stewart who was pushing quite aggressively for a lock down from the start. Of course, the reality is quite different in my opinion. I would argue that it's the exact opposite, and that the lock down has undoubtedly killed more people. The virus itself being little more than a standard flu variant.

Right now everyone's focused on the rioting and vandalism though, so it's a good opportunity for the mainstream media to nudge the Covid narrative back on track. So I'm a little bit concerned we're seeing the stage being set for round two, or 'wave two' rather, this autumn.

..as I'm typing this I can hear my phone going off with Twitter notifications, haha. Better get back to the arguing 😅

No comments:

Post a Comment