Wednesday, August 7, 2019

BBC No Deal Prepping

Visiting the BBC News site today I saw the "no deal" Brexit feature pieces. I didn't really bother reading them (as you can see from the image below I only even clicked on the first one). Again, as I've mentioned before I'm starting to get bored with reading and talking about it all. I feel we've had the same circular arguments about the dangers of "no deal" for three full years now.

(BBC "no deal" Brexit features)

Anyway, my reason for highlighting these articles is that they seem to strike a more practical tone. Informing people, in a reasonably balanced way, about the practical consequences of a "no deal". Prepping people in a sense, rather than just pushing a political angle. This makes me think that perhaps a "no deal" (do I have to keep putting quotation marks around that?) is looking more likely. In fact, the first article with the fruit and veg imagery is almost identical to an article the BBC published earlier in the year when no deal was looking quite likely then.

On a side note I actually think the BBC has became more balanced on this over the last year or so. It's easy to bash the media, and I've done it a fair bit over the last few years, however you also have to give credit too. For all the supposed division in the country I actually feel like Britain is collectively finding common ground. Sure, the hard remain and hard leave arguments aren't going to disappear anytime soon, but I do think people are increasingly beginning to understand the feelings of people on the opposing side of the argument.

In fact, my main worry remains the EU. I still don't see any sign that they're prepared to change tack. To stop seeing Brexit as an enemy that needs to be defeated, and to start seeing it as simply people on one part of the continent choosing a slightly different path.

In Britain we quite like a good argument. It seems to be our default setting. There are problems with this of course, but one of the great benefits is that the political and social landscape evolves pretty quickly. If someone has a problem with something you get told fairly fast and have no choice but to confront it, with politeness taking a backseat if necessary. It's not even considered impolite to shout and argue in our parliament, which I personally think is great (we're quite a rowdy bunch). It is however something that isn't to everyone's taste, and that's perfectly understandable.

On the continent, particularly within the EU, it seems they much prefer consensus. Again, that way of doing things can have huge benefits, but it does mean that problems sometimes get hidden under the carpet. Then when they do rear their head the arguing and criticism feels all the more stinging, as people just aren't used to being presented with such intransigence. Watching all the various Brexit documentaries I often get a sense that the EU politicians take the criticism a lot more personally than we do. I'm sure this is a cultural thing. I just don't think they're used to being verbally attacked in this way, they have a different way of operating. Whereas for us it's just normal political life.

I always get the same feeling whenever I see Nigel Farage give a tirade in the EU parliament. I feel like tweeting to the EU politicians "Don't worry, this is normal for us, this is how we speak to each other. We don't just speak to you guys like this."

Perhaps there just is a fundamental cultural difference though. The EU like their long term, set in stone plans, we like our more flexible, constant chatter approach. So maybe it's better we head down different paths. This doesn't mean there has to be any enmity though. In fact, it could be great for both sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment