Saturday, August 17, 2019

Greenlandia

I should really focus on the more mundane, but the story that keeps grabbing my interest is this one about Trump wanting to buy Greenland. It's one of those stories that just seems odd to most people. "What! Why?" I think they just view it as another weird Trump story. That crazy Trump wanting to buy some real estate.

I remember reading that after World War II the Americans wanted to buy Greenland. So it can't just be a Trump thing. It must have some genuine strategic value to America. The attempt to purchase it perhaps made more sense at the very beginnings of the Cold War, though many would say we're now heading back that way. So perhaps the situation is still no different.

The clues in the name. It's all about the cold bits of the Earth's surface. The Alaska purchase also springs to mind. Again being in a similar part of the world.

I don't want to get too conspiratorial so I'll leave it there. I'd love to know what the hell's going on up there though.

No comments:

Post a Comment