Friday, August 23, 2019

Handshakes and Body Language

I watched the Boris Johnson/Emmanuel Macron joint statement from earlier today, well, technically yesterday - I'm writing in the early hours (this is counting as tomorrow's post, or today's post I guess). Anyway, what was highlighted, as ever whenever Macron meets another world leader, was the body language. He did that handshake thing again, refusing to let go of Boris's hand. It's generally touted as a dominance display, but it just looks a bit arsey.

I always think these type of things are signs of sociopathy. In my personal experience the people who do this have always been ..err, not that nice. I remember one company I worked for where one of the area managers was renowned for gripping people's hands really tightly when shaking. He kind of deliberately crushed the knuckles like it was some weird kind of wrestling move. I'm sure as you read you're imagining this all taking place in some high-powered business-type environment, but sadly no, it was in the lowly world of retail. Imagine that, stacking shelves and getting your hands crushed. The glamour.

Real. World. Experience. (!) ..not like ya politicians.

Anyhow, the handshake was such a big deal I remember actually being prepped for it by the other staff and managers. I was told you had to show you could withstand the grip (like it was some kind of test of character) but to not compete with him by gripping too hard back lmao. When the moment came and he shook my hand I just let out a half-joking, over-exaggerated "argghhh". He couldn't tell if I was patronising him or in genuine agony. I didn't care for the job though, so it was a little bit of cost free personal amusement on my part. I think I'd use the same strategy if I ever had to shake Macron's hand. You've got to confuse these people. Their chimp displays get easily spooked when confronted with ambivalence.

I used to witness this behaviour on the part of Macron and think, "wow, he seems like a total sociopath". However, I'm now beginning to wonder if it's a product of coaching. The media seem to obsess over it so much it's almost like they're aware that this is a deliberate tactic. Perhaps he's been groomed for leadership.

Personally I'm very doubtful that this sort of thing is of any value. It just looks like gesturing, literally. Of course, Macron comes from the banking world, so maybe it worked in that environment. A top down hierarchical world where everyone has to pander to the whims of those directly above them. A world full of bastards where you need a dominant bastard to crack a few heads together. Perhaps this is why the elites love Macron so much.

When people say the EU is run by bank managers it sounds quite boring and humdrum, but the reality is that it means being run top-down by people like this. People who are obsessed with handshakes and dominating their counterparts.

Democracy is about consensus though, and also it must be said about humanity. Our societies aren't simply businesses in need of management. So we want to be led first and foremost by good men and women. A handshake is supposed to be a gesture of goodwill. Why would anybody want to dominate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment