Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Brexit Politics Comedy Cocktail

So yesterday we had the scenes in Luxembourg where Boris refused to speak at the joint press conference, citing the cacophony of noise caused by protesters. In my opinion it was the right thing to do, but then I would say that. It did look very much like a deliberate trap to make Boris, and by extension his Brexit plans, look unpopular. So it's just more games. To be honest it's getting boring discussing the endless student protests and publicity stunts played by the remain side.

In many ways the meeting in Luxembourg went to the heart of the problems regarding our relationship with the rest of Europe. Really we should be having bilateral talks with Germany. Instead we're playing silly games in Luxembourg.

Supreme Court challenge

As I'm writing this I'm also listening live to the Supreme Court challenge over the PM's suspension of parliament. This is more silliness in my opinion. In fact, when I started listening the lawyer prosecuting the case was quoting from an interview Boris Johnson had given to Sky News. It just seems a bit surreal. Clearly this is a political issue, not an issue for the courts. The court is focusing on the prorogation itself, citing various precedents and technicalities, but obviously this is all happening in a wider political context. A context where parliament had the opportunity to call an election, and where the general public at large are sick and tired of hearing these politicians bicker. Which they've now been doing in parliament for three solid years.

Hopefully this case will find in favour of Boris & Co, if it doesn't it will set a bad precedent and create a lot of bad feeling in the country.

It's quite boring to watch and it's hard to second guess how it will go. I have no idea how these things work. It just seems to be endless references to bits of paper in various ring binders. All I can keep thinking though is how Lord Pannick, the lawyer arguing that the prorogation is unlawful, looks a lot like the Australian comedian Sam Simmons.


(Lord Pannick QC/Sam Simmons)

Fortunately I've banned myself from posting on Twitter for the foreseeable future. So I won't be sharing this sort of silliness ..or expressing my discontent if things head the wrong way. Which is probably for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment