Friday, September 6, 2019

Oh Right, The Kinnock Amendment

Another post. So soon after the last one. I'm super sleepy, but I feel like I better post while it's fresh in my head. I've just had one of those moments, moments that I hate, where I realise I might not be as smart as I think I am.

I was reading some posts on a forum putting forward, what are I guess conspiracy theories, about the passing of the Stephen Kinnock amendment. This was an amendment tagged onto the bill blocking no deal and passed by "accident" because the government forgot to put forward tellers to count the vote (!) I watched quite a bit of the arguments put forward by Stephen Kinnock and Caroline Flint for this amendment on the day of the vote, and then later overheard on TV that it had passed by mistake. However, the accidental passing of it completely passed me by, and its potential significance never occurred to me. Like I said, I'm not as smart as I think I am.

Anyway, the conspiracy theories basically state that it's a deliberate ruse to bring back the May Deal. Maybe a grand Dominic Cummings scheme or some other act of political chicanery.

I don't really mind so much the idea of the May Deal going through. Like I've said before, though it's certainly not what I voted for, it is a sword in the ground that says we have definitely left. Something to then build upon going forward (or to undermine if you're a remainer elected on a manifesto of closer relations with the EU). Leaving was always going to be a long term struggle. Globalism never sleeps. However, though I view the May Deal as tolerable, and as a pragmatic way out of a bind, I do hate being duped.

So if this is some type of grand strategy, and I've been getting all worked up taking things on face value then I'll be even more miffed off.

No comments:

Post a Comment