Thursday, December 19, 2019

Scotland Part II

I might finally get round to spreadsheeting the election information after I've typed this. Might.

Anyway, I've been thinking more about Scotland. I saw a YouGov poll yesterday showing that a majority of Scots want a referendum (46% for to 43% against). In comparison to the rest of the UK, where only 27% of those polled wanted one.

Again, that divergence.

Really I think we need to look at the big historical picture. Time and again throughout history we see that whenever England has issues with Europe the Scots becomes the euro-aligned thorn (or thistle) in England's back.

This was largely ended when England and Scotland aligned and conjoined following the Reformation. Though even then the Scottish path was somewhat different. England had Henry VIII's divorce from Rome. The Scots took a more Knoxian route.

This would lead me to believe that if Scotland and England are to remain aligned going forward then the Scots need to find their own version or flavour of Brexit. Similar to how they found their own flavour of antipathy to the Church of Rome.

I've just watched Ian Blackford, leader of the SNP in parliament, speak in parliament (did we really win the election?). The SNP still sound thoroughly pro-EU. So it's not looking good on that front. Perhaps we need a new brand of Scottish independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment