Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Are the blame games beginning?

I listened to an interview with Jacob Rees-Mogg earlier - it can be found here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5gvOlTlABI&t=0s

In it he seemed to be making the argument that the public wanted the lock down, and that the government were in lock step with public mood. There is a lot of truth in this to be fair. I witnessed it firsthand as I watched people demand that football games be called off, in spite of the fact that the green light had been given for them to go ahead.

However, in the interview no real mention was made of the media role, and I would argue that it was the media that largely drove public opinion.

Obviously I would argue that the lock down was wrong whatever the general public opinion was - if that can even truly be measured. You can't just suspend fundamental rights because of mob outrage. It's interesting to watch though. It seems like we're now reaching a point where people are trying to frame responsibility. Usually framing it away from themselves to some degree. Whether it be politicians, scientists and advisers, media or members of the public themselves. In a way this is good. It's certainly better than the government proudly championing such measures.

Reading some of the comments beneath the above interview, and also when it was shared on Twitter, it seems like the base Conservative support (or rather the Brexity-type people I should say) aren't too pleased. It seems they see it, like me (I guess I'm one of them really), as a civil liberty infringement; and something that should be reversed asap. Which seems to be quite different to the broader public mood. Much of whom still seem to be too sacred to even leave their own homes. So there's a balancing act politically speaking.

Personally I'd be more worried about losing the core support - though I guess I would say that. The general public mood will dissolve over time I would imagine. It's an emotional response to a crisis. Not a thinking one. However, the people providing criticism of the lock down tend to be making their arguments from first principles. Or at least arguments based around their core values. So this could shape where they place their hopes and support for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment