Saturday, May 23, 2020

Dominic Stayings I Think

It feels like we're back in standard politics today. Dominic Cummings coming under fire for visiting his parents in Durham whilst under lock down. We have the usual left/right back and forth. With people now calling for Boris to fire him, and #DominicGoings trending on Twitter. Personally I like Dominic Cummings, even though I'm on the opposite side to the government over this lock down. In fact, this morning I was reminded of the doodlings I was doing of him last Halloween amidst the Brexit furore.

(scary stuff ! )

However, I have to say he has been a bit hypocritical here. There have been arguments back and forth over whether he technically transgressed the law. Either way though the spirit of the law. The unholy spirit of lock down which decries everyone as a potential murderer for even the slightest indulgence. Was definitely in breach. I see a lot of people on the Brexit side defending him to the hilt, but if it was someone on the other side of the aisle they wouldn't quite have the same sympathy I suspect. So I think the criticism is probably fair, if a bit hysterical.

Do I think he should be fired though? Definitely not, and hope he stays and the issue blows over.

My suspicion is that he will stay. He has his friend Michael Gove firmly in his corner, who's very central to the running of government at the moment. The media are clearly out to get Cummings though, as they seem to have been for months now, so I doubt the issue will blow over anytime soon if they do choose to stay the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment