Sunday, May 24, 2020

p o p c o r n

I've no idea what's going on now. Time to just sit back with the popcorn I think. We now have people on the right of the Tory scene (can I call it a scene? I can't think of a better word) calling for Dominic Cummings to go. Steve Baker, possibly the most vocal MP criticising the lock down, is now openly stating that he should be sacked or resign.

Baker was highly reluctant to pass the Coronavirus legislation that went through parliament a few months back ..and quite emotionally so.


It was a little disturbing watching this at the time. On face value he's probably the politician that has been closest to my own position on all this. At least of those visible in the media. So my natural inclination is to take his side if we're going just on the policies. However, as I noted yesterday, I do like Dominic Cummings. In spite of my opposition to this whole lock down nightmare.

It reminds me very much of all the Brexit rumblings. Where we had the pro-leave Tories unhappy with the May government and constantly plotting and trying to pull government into line. My feeling back then was that the hard leavers were correct (i.e. I agreed with their core aims and values) but that they lacked cunning and foresight. Or rather, at times they weren't pragmatic enough. Who am I to make such a judgement though, so far removed from things. Again, probably why it's best I just sit back, acknowledge I have no real idea what's going on behind the scenes, and get the popcorn.

I do always wonder though; what's the plan? We always see calls in the media for people to go. "This person must resign!", etc. However, we rarely get any real discussion or indication about what follows. If Cummings goes what do we then have? Who comes in? How does it affect policy?

In regard Brexit there seems to be an endless supply of Remainers in politics, but a finite supply of Leavers. So I'd always be reluctant to lose people. It's a long way until the next election too, so the pool of politicians we have is limited until that time as well. Hopefully, given that the Conservatives have an 80 seat majority, the parliament is chock-full of real, conviction Brexiteers. However, this is politics and these are politicians. So it's always foolish to be optimistic.

No comments:

Post a Comment