Friday, May 15, 2020

The Great Leveller, Sort Of..

Was it yesterday or the day before that I was talking about "virtual" parliaments relegating politicians down to our level? It's getting so hard to keep track of time. I'm now not even sure how many weeks we are into lock down. Is there any point even checking?

Either way I've been watching numerous pundits on podcasts in a similar "virtual" situation, and by pundits this time I'm meaning the sort of people you often get working for think tanks, or writing for broadsheet newspapers. Some of whom I quite admire. However, they look so impotent sat in their front rooms or home offices speaking into their little mics. Just like regular YouTubers.

I can't help but think that it makes the whole country weaker. Everyone, even people that once had a bit of gravitas, sat relegated to their rooms grounded. With little control over the situation. They're too much like me, it's not right lol

Of course you could make the argument that this is a great leveller, and normally I would think that way. However, it's hardly level when there are a few at the top locking everyone else up. It's levelling the middle and upper-middle classes with everyone else, but the ever centralised decision-making class at the top are now even more unassailable.

We need our civil liberties back asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment