Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Orange Pip, Orange Tree

Today I'm just going to fire off a quick post. At the start of the lock down, when many people were talking about "growing their own food", I was inspired to plant a few orange seeds. I was literally just eating an orange, or satsuma type thing (absolutely no idea), and as I was removing the pips and reading about other people's food growing plans, I thought why not plant 'em.

So I got a few little jars, added some soil, and popped them in there. Completely in hope rather than expectation. Just to see what would happen, if anything. I didn't even bother looking up how to grow them, or even if they would grow. Again, I didn't even pay attention to what type of orange it was.

Anyhow, yesterday I noticed a little green shoot in one of the jars. Given that we had the announcement of a minor relaxation of the lock down just the night before I felt this was quite fitting. Symbolic maybe. This in turn then reminding me of the symbolism of Orange Trees. Particularly in regard William of Orange and the Glorious Revolution. The Orange Tree was actually used as a symbol after this event, being displayed on medals. With the Orange Tree often shown supplanting an Oak Tree - the symbol of the Stuart dynasty. Another great symbolic British image.

Thinking further upon that it then occurred to me that I should really learn a bit more about that period. So this morning I'm going to spend some time reading about the Bill of Rights 1689. Which I'll start doing straight after I've posted this.


(The little shoot)

(..and overshadowed by one of my
Spider Plants)

No comments:

Post a Comment